Monday, October 29, 2012

H34: Halloween 34 Years Later

As eager as I was to see John Carpenter's Halloween on the big screen last week, I have to admit I was a little worried about how it was going to play 34 years later.  Now, I've seen Halloween many, many times over the years, but not recently, and certainly not in a theater.  While I've long claimed it as my favorite horror movie of all time, what if I discovered it wasn't as wonderful in reality as it was in my mind?


I suppose the first question I have to ask is, "Does Halloween still have the power to scare?"  And I must answer that with a qualified "yes".  I mean, I've seen it so many times; surely I couldn't be surprised by the same jumps.  Actually, I was.  Twice.  But I noticed something about the jumps this time.

The "stinger", which is what I call the musical noise that is made when something is supposed to scare you, is used frequently in Halloween.  However, it is used only when the scare is legitimate.  For example, when Michael Myers jumps out of a closet or when a dead body swings down from the ceiling, it's accompanied by a stinger.  However, when the scare is false, there is no stinger.  So, when something unexpectedly crashes against the window or Dr. Loomis backs into the sheriff, there is silence.  It's the second type of scare, the false one, that surprised me during my recent viewing.


As far as being scared by Michael Myers himself, I would have to say I'm too familiar with the story and its outcome to really be scared again.  However, the suspense of him stalking Laurie Strode is something I'll never stop feeling when I watch Halloween.  Technically, the way Carpenter crafted these scenes is flawless.  It's like he's wired into my brain and knows exactly what is going to make me scrunch down in my seat and kick my feet, mentally yelling at Laurie to get out of that closet.


In no small part, the music of Halloween must be credited for the movie's ability to remain creepy.  We've seen much more graphic horror movies since 1978 and are now desensitized to the bloodless murders of the original Halloween.  But when you add Carpenter's score, the movie transcends the decades.  I wonder what it would be like to watch the movie without the soundtrack?  I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be the classic that it has become with its music.

I'm sure everyone remembers the main theme of Halloween, the fast but simple keyboard melody that makes it feel like the story is zipping along.  During my recent viewing, though, I was reminded of its two other musical patterns.  It's the slower, deeper chords and melodies that really made a difference for me.  Perhaps because you hear the main theme more, those less-used sounded different and were actually more effective for me.


Something I've heard people say who have not enjoyed such a long history of Halloween, those who are younger and discovered it only through home video, perhaps, is that it really only gets good at the end; the first parts are long and boring.  I cannot be objective on this point.  Since I know the movie so well, I savor every scene.  It's fun to anticipate dialogue and see if I notice anything new.  Even its most familiar scenes, my attention remains locked and I truly admire the craftsmanship and marvel at how Carpenter did so much with so little.

I also was reminded of my respect for Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween.  She's very, very good and it's easy to see now how she's had such a long career.  She's the heart of the movie.  Let's be honest, some of the actors in Halloween don't necessarily give great performances.  Even the great Donald Pleasance sometimes annoys me in his delivery.  But Curtis does not strike one false note.  Without the sympathy, perhaps empathy, we feel for her character, we would have no emotional investment in the movie.


My greatest fear for those watching Halloween for the first time is that they won't understand why it is such a horror classic.  They've probably seen so many other horror movies that they think a killer who never dies is a boring, old trick.  But my greatest hope is that they realize Halloween was one of the first movies to use that element, certainly the first one to be so successful.  They wouldn't have seen the trick in other horror movies if it hadn't worked so well here.

Which begs my final question.  Is Halloween still a great movie?  There's no doubt it was during its time, but is it only important from that perspective?  Is it too dated to be a classic today?  I can answer that question easily, as should any horror fan.  Just look at all the horror movies we've seen over the years.  Even today, the original Halloween is far better than most of those.  I'd gladly watch it again if it were a choice between it and any of this season's theatrical releases.  I know what I'm going to get and I will never be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment