Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Reading Dead

As we welcome back The Walking Dead to TV tonight for its third season, I wanna show a little love for the comic book on which it is based.  Now, I didn't read the comic before its live action version hit the screen on Halloween, 2010, which means I missed 75 or so issues since it began publication in 2003.  At that point, I didn't want to backtrack and try to catch up.  The task seemed too daunting.


But I'll be darned if I didn't like the TV series so much that my OCD kicked in and I simply had to start reading from the beginning.  I started out in tiny parts, with the trade paperbacks each collecting six issues.  I'd buy one at a time, probably once a month.  At the same time, I started buying new single issues as they came out.  Of course, I culdn't start reading those until I caught up with the earlier storylines.

After buying and reading the first six trade paperbacks, Comixology, a website that sells digital comics, had a big sale on The Walking Dead back issues, each one for 99 cents.  I took that opportunity to fill in all issues between #37 and the point I started buying new issues.  (At the same time, I stopped buying new issues at the comic shop and started buying them on Comixology.)
 
The point is, I have now read every comic book issue of The Walking Dead.  I would love to compare the two versions, but, honestly, that would be too big a chore for me right now.  It would involve a lot of re-reading and re-watching.  Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of other blow-by-blow thoughts about it on the internet (as you can see from the pictures I've borrowed for this post).
 
At Comic-Con this year, I attended the The Walking Dead comic book panel where I heard creator Robert Kirkman repeat the company line about how each version stands on its own.  I agree completely and I wish to make a plea here that everyone read the actual comic book series.  Further, I'd recommend you stockpile bunches at a time to read.  That is because the series is so compelling, you're not going to want to put it down.
 
As long as I've been reading comic books, there have been only a handful of times when I've been emotionally affected by what I'm reading.  Two of those times have been during the last year when I've been catching up on The Walking Dead.  It seems silly, but I have literally cried out in shock at events in this comic book.  I don't know if that would have happened had I read one issue at a time.  By reading several at a time, you settle into its rhythm and details remain fresh.
 
 
 
I am not going to reveal the moments that moved me; that's a pleasure I wish for all of you.  But I will conclude by saying that I'm looking forward to an enhanced appreciation of the TV series now that I'm familiar with the source material.  I'm going into it recognizing people (Michonne, The Governor) and places (the prison) from the comic book.  While this builds anticipation for me, I'm catutious about it building unrealistic expectations.  I must remember the company line:  the TV show stands alone from the comic book.  I don't have to love one as much as I do the other.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment